Ten Facts about Magnets
(from the book Driving Force)
1. North poles point north, south poles point south.
2. Like poles repel, unlike poles attract.
3. Magnetic forces attract only magnetic materials.
4. Magnetic forces act at a distance.
5. While magnetized, temporary magnets act like permanent magnets.
6. A coil of wire with an electric current flowing through it becomes a magnet.
7. Putting iron inside a current-carrying coil increases the strength of the electromagnet.
8. A changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor.
9. A charged particle experiences no magnetic force when moving parallel to a magnetic field, but when it is moving perpendicular to the field it experiences a force perpendicular to both the field and the direction of motion.
10. A current-carrying wire in a perpendicular magnetic field experiences a force in a direction perpendicular to both the wire and the field.